Sunday, November 27, 2011

Svævar Freyr and Hell Week

Through trial and tribulation I have managed to complete one history paper, sixteen pages, decent footnoting, a full three drafts (like a good little student, this time), and a title that isn't an unrelated bit of prosaic nonsense written to try and fool your professor that you've actually though about your title for more than 45 seconds.

I think.

But there is something about the whole week that makes it seem like I've not actually accomplished anything. Partially, perhaps, because I've likely spent less hours actually working, than when I'm just reading and taking notes-sometimes about writing is exhausting. But more of it is probably the two papers due next Monday, along with the test in the morning with 12 essay questions to prepare for; all of which I have, out of necessity, done almost no work on.

But, you know, it's hard to hate Reykjvík in the snow. And I went to see David's choir again on Thursday, with Bach and Rímur and an organ and other such good things. That´s two choir concerts and five hours of Wagner I´ve seen since I´ve gotten here. Like I´m cultured or some such nonsense. But music is the greatest salve for all things (even gaping wounds, in my book).

And in honor of that, and another painfully short blog post, I present Snævar-Freyr, 'Freyr of snow', the fertility god of Mjóstræti, for those of you that might have been thinking about still having a little respect for me, as an adult. Admittedly, I didn´t make him. But I watched and let it happen. Shame.

 Actually, this is a  reconstruction. Some Icelanders
passed by and knocked his original member off,
and we had to rebuild it.

 Sacrifice to me and I will make your fields rich with
majestic. . .snow. But very fertile snow, I assure you!



 Because Paul is fifteen, and also a perfectionist
about his creations.

And also he teaches everyone bad habits.

(We were still a bit drunk, I'm sorry, the beer was free. Blame the professor) Afterwards, Paul broke off Svævar-Freyr´s god-phallus and made a triangular hat out of it (like a proper Freyr idol). Find a Freudian-interpretation of that, boys and girls.

5 comments:

  1. Good stuff. This semester's nearly wrapped up and you'll be going crazy from the empty feeling you get after having expelled all of your intellectual energy in so short a time frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird that my AIM username doesn't show up. Anyhow, I can't blame the alcohol or the professor, I have only my own immaturity to blame because if you don't remember, Snowry snjóreðr / Snævar-Freyr, was created just a day earlier without any substance abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm maybe I'm glad I went to Oslo instead. Your workload seems one HELL of a lot tougher than mine. I've only had one 5 page paper and an Old Norse test (that didn't really count for grades it was just a pass/fail and completion pretty much meant a pass). I have exams in Runelogy and Old Norse on the 6th and the 8th and then a 10 page paper due December 16th. That's all. And I probably still won't do three drafts on that paper despite my ridiculous amount of free time. I'm just a bad student.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dammit, Paul, the evidence grows thicker that we should have gone to Oslo. Only a masochistic pride in the greater workload is left to comfort me.

    And you people have an actual Runology class. Bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taught by Terje Spurkland no less. He is SO AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete